Maryanne Jacobsen is a colorist and contemporary impressionist. She began painting in 2006 after an early retirement from a performing arts career allowed her the
opportunity to indulge in a childhood dream to become a visual artist. With color the motivating factor in her desire to paint,
she picked up a palette knife and the magic of creation began. The love affair is still in high gear ten years later,
and Maryanne feels truly blessed to have found one more passion in a life that has been filled with artistic accomplishments.
Over the past few years Maryanne has been juried into many local and
national shows including the American Impressionist Society, American Women Artists,Women Painters of the Southeast and the
National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society. She has won many awards, including First Place and Best of Show and paints en plein
air as often as possible. She is collected both nationally and abroad and recent corporate collectors include The Ritz Carlton
in Naples, Florida. Although primarily self-taught, she has taken workshops with Kim English, Kenn Backhaus,David Leffel,
Hodges Soileau, Robert Liberace, Clayton Beck, John Ebersberger, and Morgan Samuel Price. Maryanne is represented by galleries
throughout the United States including Galerie du Soleil in Naples, Fl., Gallery 444 in Union Square, San Francisco, Stakenborg
Fine Art in Sarasota, Fl, and Collector’s Gallery in Venice, Fl.
What collector's have to say:
Although Maryanne Jacobsen sometimes
describes her work as “a gallery of forgotten dreams”, her body of original paintings is hardly forgettable. Indeed,
her vibrantly-colored oils have been described by collectors and fellow artists as lyrical, inspired and passionate, since her
feeling about the subject is the motivating theme behind each piece of art she creates. Although Maryanne took a circuitous
route to achieve a lifelong dream of becoming a visual artist, she is a late bloomer that seldom disappoints. Repeat collectors
are always enchanted with her deliberate impasto and unabashed use of color, and new paintings are quickly acquired.
Maryanne began her oil painting journey in February of 2006, and since then hardly a day passes by that has not found her
with palette knife in hand, and face streaked with cadmium colors. Ironically, this new form of grease paint replaces a successful
career in the performing arts, which Jacobsen also achieved through a road less traveled. Ms. Jacobsen is the former
regional director of The Rock School West, an official school of The Pennsylvania Ballet, as well as the founding director
of West Chester Dance Theatre. Her work is being enthusiastically collected throughout the United States and abroad,
and in the short amount of time that she has been exhibiting her works, she has been accepted into dozens of juried shows,
collected numerous awards along the way, and has exhibited her work in prestigious invitationals through the country,
as well as government buildings and commercial establishments throughout the Southwest Florida area, where she now resides
with her husband, Ken.
Current news of recent awards,
exhibits, upcoming shows, and events as well as Galleries where one can view the artist's most current
Galerie du Soleil- Naples , Florida
Gallery 444- San Francisco, Ca.
Stakenborg Fine Art Gallery, Sarasota Florida
Collectors Gallery and Framery- Venice, FL
Recent Exhibits of Note & Upcoming Events:
Save the Dates! Delighted that once again
I have been juried into this fabulous plein air festival!
March 8 - 12, 2017
Painting by the
sea in Jupiter
and Palm Beach, Florida
Women Artists-17th annual juried show, Addison Gallery, Cape Cod, Massachusetts- August 2014
- American Impressionist Society- 14th annual juried show- M Gallery of Fine art, Charleston, S.C.- Fall 2013
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society- Best of America exhibit, Nov.2-20, 2013, Osage Beach, Mo.
- American Women Artists-16 th annual juried show, RS Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, Texas- November
- "Holiday Treasures", reception December 5th, Debra Huse Gallery, Balboa Island,
- "6x6 inch squared", reception December 7th, Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa
- 9th biennial National Art Exhibition, Visual Arts Center, Punta Gorda, through
- Women Painters of the Southeast, Greensboro, Ga. , Spring 2014
American Women Artists Show, August 2014,
Addison Gallery, Orleans, Mass.
American Impressionist Society reception-Oct.2013, (Charleston, SC)
Awards and Exhibits of Note
- "Where's the Bacon?" rec'd a Second Place
Award in the Englewood Art Center's Fur, Feathers and Fins exhibit-Summer 2017
Queens" was juried into the American Women Artists Spring Online Show- April-2017
- "Pink House on Marion" rec'd a merit award for "Best
Use of Light" in the Peace River Painters annual Quickdraw event- January 2017
- "White Bonnet", was juried into The National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society's
Fall International exhibit- Fall 2016
- Visual Arts Center, Punta
Gorda, Fl.- June 2016- “Au Printemps” won an Honorable Mention Award in “The
Essence of color exhibit.
- Venice Art
Center, June 2016- “Morning Blues” received a Merit Award in the “Celebrating
the Blues” exhibit.
- Trunk Show- invitational gallery
show at Gallery 444, San Francisco, Ca.- Dec. 2015, benefiting the Endangered Elephants
- Visual Arts Center, Punta Gorda- “Morning
Chill”, plein air, rec’d an Honorable merit award- November
Art Center-“ American Beauties and Gala Apples” rec’d a Merit Award in
the fall 2015 Member’s Exhibit
- Visual Arts Center- Punta Gorda- September 2015, Rec’d a First Merit
and Second Merit award in “Taking the Scenic Route”
- Addison Gallery, Orleans, Massachusetts, - “The
Whaler’s House was selected for the “After Hopper” Exhibit
- SRQ plein air painters First annual off-season
exhibit, Sarasota, Florida, June 2015- “Afternoon Serenity, China Cove” received the First place award as well as the Gallery Choice Award
- Lighthouse Plein air Festival, juried plein air exhibit, Jupiter
Florida, March 2015
- Paint Sarasota!- 4th annual Light-Chasers plein air exhibit, Sarasota, Fl., “Morning
Light, Edson Keith Mansion” received an Honorable Merit Award- March 2015
- Venice Art Center, December 2014- The Human Condition, faces and forms, “Me and My Teddy
Bear”, received an Honorable Merit Award
- Brandywine Valley Plein Air-juried plein air show, October, 2014, Winterthur Museum, Wilmington,
- Venice Art Center-
Mini and Maxi Show- Second Place Award for "The Red House, Swim Beach"- October, 2014
- "Paint the Town", juried
plein air, Art Center Manatee, Bradenton, Fl., "The 1887 Church" received an Honorable Merit Award- October, 2014
- Venice Art Center, "Tutti
Fruitti" exhibit, juried, "Peaches and Cream" received an Honorable Merit Award- September 2014
- American Women Artists 17th annual juried National Show,
Addison Gallery, Orleans , Massachusetts, August- September 2014
- Women Painters of the Southeast, 3rd annual juried
show, Magnolia Gallery, Greensboro, Georgia
- Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda, FL, "Early Morning Shrimpers" was juried into the
9th biennial National Exhibit- Juried, February 6th-March7th, 2014
- Venice Art Center's annual Portrait
and Figurative Exhibit, December 2013, "the Good Book" received an Honorable Merit award.
- "6 Inch Squared"- through
January 15th, 2014, Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa, California.
- "Holiday Treasures"- through December 2013, Debra Huse
Gallery, Balboa Island , California
- American Women Artists, 16th annual juried show, November, 2013, RS Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, Texas
- Plein Air Brandywine Valley, juried plein air show,
October, 2013, Winterthur Museum, Wilmington, De.
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society, "Amazing Grace" was juried into the Best of America exhibit, October, 2013, Dunnegan Gallery of Fine Art, Bolivar, Mo.
- The American Impressionist Society, "Dancing Queens and a Pear"
was juried into the 14th annual show, October, 2013, M Gallery of Fine Art, Charleston, SC
- Castine Plein Air, -juried show, July 2013, Castine,
- Women Painters
of the Southeast 2nd annual juried show-April 10- June 20, 2013 , Imagine Gallery, Franklin , Tennessee
- CFAI (Contemporary Fine Art International) Spring Show,
The Tapestry of Life - "Making a Joyful Noise" received a Third place award.
- April 12th-May3rd- "Tuesday at O'Leary's" won a
Award at The Venice
Art Center's Art of Everyday Living Exhibit.
- April 4- May 3rd- "Paint the Town!" Juried plein air paint-out featuring some of the
finest plein air painters in southwest Florida- Art Center Manatee.
- March 8- April 5, 2013- "Big Sur at the Bixby Bridge" rec'd
Award at The
Venice Art Center's Spring Member's Show.
- Light- Chasers “Paint Sarasota” Paint-out- "Ready to Rain, Ca' d Zan" received
February 2013 at Art Center Sarasota
- Solo exhibit of 12 paintings at The Englewood Art Center, a division of Ringling College, at Englewood
, Florida, February 6th through
- February 2013-
Englewood Art Center, Portrait and Figurative Exhibit, Merit Award for "Pretty in Pink"
- December 2012- Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa California, 6 inch squared exhibit, Opening reception December
- November 2012-Visual
Art Center, Punta Gorda, "A Harvest of Art", Juror's Award for "Quiet Elegance".
- October 2012-Venice Art Center's Fall member's show,
Award for Summer
- April 2012- Women Painters of the Southeast juried exhibit, Course Gallery, Jacksonville, Florida
April 2012- "Paint the
Town", plein air invitational paint-out, Bradenton Florida
- April 2012- The Windsor of Lakewood Ranch annual Invitational
art show, Merit
for "Strasbourg Reflections"
- March 2012-Light Chasers", Sun Coast painters plein air exhibit, Sarasota, Florida
- March 2012- Englewood Art Center,
A Division of The Ringling College of Art and Design- "Amazing Grace" received a First Place Award in the Portrait and Figurative
- January 2012- Venice
Art Center's Portrait and Figurative Exhibit-"Amazing Grace" received the Second Place Award
- November 2011-Venice Art Center's Fall Member's
exhibit- "Time to Go" received the People's Choice Award
2011-North Port Art Center's 'Treasures' exhibit- "Ice Plant Season at Monterey" received the First Place Award
- October 2011-Englewood Art Center's 'Memory Lane'
exhibit- "Fish Beach Road, Monhegan Island" received the Second Place Award
- April-May2011-"Abstraction", Venice Art Center-"Hobbit's Hide-Out" received the First Place Award
- January 2011- Three paintings have won spots in the Paint America Top 100 national competition and two paintings
have won spots in the Top 50 mini's.
- Solo exhibit at The North Port Art Center- Nov.1st through January 1st 2011
- November12-December 10, 2010-"Show us your Best", Venice
Art Center- "Purple meets Orange" won The People's Choice Award at the opening reception
- March 2010-"Paint-out in Paradise"- 5th annual invitational plein air paint out- Venice Art Center
- PAINT AMERICA TOP 100- "Mr. Clucky of Miami" was chosen for the
2010 tour of the top 100 paintings in their annual national competition
- January 19-January 31, 2010- "Windows to Your World". The
3rd annual invitational art show at The Windsor at Lakewood Ranch- Honorable merit award for "Mr. Clucky"
- January 16-through February 2010- "Wide World of Animals"-Third Place Award for "Warm and Cozy"
- The American Impressionist Society- "Mr. Clucky" juried into the 10th annual juried
show, October, 2010,Saks Gallery, Denver, Co.
- October 2009, "Simple Gifts" received a Merit award at Art Center Sarasota's "Show Us what You've Got", season opener.
- September-October 2009, "Eagle's Perch"
received an Honorable
merit award at The North
Port Art Center's "Above and Below exhibit.
- July-September 2009, "Green", juried, Art Center Sarasota
- May-June 2009, "Colle Verde Vineyard" received
an Honorable Merit
Award in Venice Art
Center's Spring all-media exhibit
- April 2009, "End of Summer" was chosen to be displayed in the office of North Port City Hall's Economic
Development Manager Allen Lane's new office.
- March 2009, "Tea in the Garden"- winner
in North Port Art Center's Spring High Tea and Fashion Show Poster Contest
- November 2008, Art from the Heart exhibit, The Englewood
Art Center- SECOND
PLACE AWARD for "Fantasy
January 2009, "Festive" exhibit, North Port Art Guild- PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD for "Simple Gifts", also Honorable Merit Award for "Simple Gifts"
- September-October 2008- "Faces in Places"-juried, North Port Art Guild- SECOND PLACE AWARD for "The Girl in the Red Unitard"
- April-May 2008-The 145th annual exhibition of small oil
paintings"- juried, "Philadelphia Sketch Club
- March-April 2008- "All that Jazz"-juried, Englewood Art Center- HONORABLE MENTION AWARD for "Jazzy Roses".
- Oil Painters of America
- Portrait Society
- American Women Artists
- The American Impressionist Society
The National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society